I was expecting guests today one of which is vegan. I always bake bread for guests for their breakfast and try to make home-made cake or biscuits for when they arrive but although I’ve made countless vegetarian dishes, vegan cake was a completely new experience for me.
I researched a few recipes and decided to base my recipe on this one that I found on the internet.
Vegan Banana Cake Recipe:
Makes 8-10 small buns or 6-8 large muffins
- 150g Self Raising (SR) Flour
- 1 teaspoon (5g) of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25g) of salt*
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5g) cinnamon
- 100g demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons of light olive oil
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) of vanilla essence**
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C (350F) and place paper cases into bun/muffin tins.
- In one bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- In a second bowl, mash the banana using a knife then mix in the sugar and oil. Add the water and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (mine resembled a stiff rather than runny mixture).
- Divide the mixture into paper cases.
- Place the bun/muffin tins into the pre-heated oven and bake for approx 20-25 mins (small buns) or 35-40 mins (muffins).
- Remove from oven when cooked and allow to cool on a wire rack.
* I’m using Himalayan pink salt now and loving it!
** I make my own vanilla essence so used more but added less water.
They went awfully quickly!
I’ll add photos next time I make some … which won’t be very long!!
Let me know how you get on if you try out the recipe.
Cordelia (C) 2017