Now that the B&B is re-opening at Easter, I thought that I’d try out some breakfast recipes for the 2015 season.
Today I started with breakfast pancakes with Greek yoghurt and blueberries. I tried two different pancake recipes with two different types of honey and also maple syrup.
Taste testing today was
my guinea pig Howard, my other half!!
I have to say Paul, you may know how to bake but Hugh knows a thing or two about tasty pancakes. The wholemeal recipe in River Cottage Everyday was far superior in our opinion.
We tried a decent quality store bought honey and also maple syrup but locally produced Kirkbride Farm Honey was by far the best.
So here is my own recipe adapted from HFW’s book:
- 100g plain (all purpose) wholemeal flour
- 5g baking powder
- 10g muscovado sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 free range egg
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) full fat (whole) milk
- 25g butter (melted)
- Sunflower or light olive oil (see note at end of “method”)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- Add the sugar and mix.
- Beat the egg in a cup and add the milk to the egg.
- Using a balloon whisk (or a fork) slowly add the wet ingredients into the bowl, stirring until everything is combined.
- Melt the butter and add to the bowl.
- Briefly whisk until the mixture is lump-free.
- Place a tablespoon (15ml) of the mixture into a medium hot frying pan (griddle or similar) and allow to cook until bubbles rise and pop. This only takes a minute so don’t leave it! When the bottom is cooked (light or golden brown depending upon your preference) flip the pancake over and cook the other side. You may need to oil the pan just a little if the mixture sticks.
I topped ours with:
- Greek style yoghurt
- Kirkbride Farm honey
PS We also had some Ayrshire Bacon that needed to be eaten; topped with maple syrup of course!!
Copyright © 2015 by Cordelia
All rights reserved
Cordelia Galley © 2015