I generally make this soup in bulk as it freezes well and so is very handy to have when running a B&B. The quantities are flexible and thus every batch tastes slightly different.
A little garlic gives it a nice kick but it’s not to everyone’s taste. This is my wonderful daughter’s favourite soup … only when she makes it, a full bulb of garlic finds its way into the oven!
1 large butternut squash halved and seeds removed
2 or 3 medium sized sweet potatoes washed and halved
1 chicken/ham/vegetable stock cube (dependent upon personal taste)
2 medium or large onions skins removed and halved
2 or 3 cloves of garlic (optional)
2 pints of water
Salt and black pepper
- Place the squash, onion, sweet potato and garlic (if using) onto a baking tray and sprinkle over some olive oil and salt
- Roast in a pre-heated oven at 160 ˚C for 50 – 60 minutes until cooked throughout
- Remove from oven and when cool enough to handle and scoop out the flesh of the squash and sweet potato placing it into a large pan or soup pan adding the garlic (if using) and onion
- At this stage the mixture can be blitzed with a hand blender until smooth
- Add the water and stock cube (if using) and bring to the boil, allow to simmer for 10 minutes then remove from the heat
- Season to taste and serve with freshly baked rolls
I tend to freeze the soup before I season it and normally add less water (to save space in the freezer … when re-heating I add the missing water and black pepper).
Copyright © 2011 by Cordelia
All rights reserved